535 North Fifth Street
San Jose, California 95112
Phone (408) 294-3138
FAX (408) 294-1657
JAMSJ is staffed entirely by volunteers. Anyone who is interested is encouraged to join the team! As a volunteer you will have the opportunity to contribute and make a measurable difference in your community while meeting some remarkable people.
Additional volunteer benefits include:
- Explore your culture and learn about others
- Learn from a variety of talented, passionate, and driven individuals
- Networking opportunities
- Be an important part of a vibrant community
- Assist in providing a valuable legacy for future generations
- Share your knowledge and area of expertise
- Possibility of receiving internship credit
- Skills development
- Good Karma – give back
Check out some the opportunities and Sign-Up Online Below!
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPENINGS:
- Grant Writers will keep an eye out on applicable grants and will submit the necessary paperwork.
- Docents and Outreach Speakers are desperately needed for the Museum. We will train you on the job! No experience is necessary and the only characteristics that we require are enthusiasm and dependability. You can choose your hours!
- Receptionists. Be the first one to meet and greet visitors to our museum. Provide visitors with basic information on the museum layout and introduce them to the museum docent. Be the last to thank them for visiting, offer them pamphlets and museum literature, and invite them back for future visits.
- Store Managers will oversee the selling of JAMsj products in the Museum onsite and online stores.
- Website/E-Newsletter Developers will update the JAMsj website and E-Newsletter with relevant information and will create new forms of communicating with the public.
- Public Programs support volunteers will help plan and coordinate the myriad of events that are held every year including the Winter Boutique, Fundraising events, book signings, film screenings, festivals and more!
- Videographers will visually capture oral histories and will create innovative promotional and display material.
- PR and publicity coordinators, both within and outside the Japanese American community - be a part of a subcommittee to promote JAMSJ activities.
- Local newspaper liaisons - establish contact with specific media representatives in the area and Japanese American newspapers. Forward text and photos to appropriate media organizations as well as follow up with those organizations.
- Librarians and archivists to help us make our collections more organized and accessible. The JAMSJ Library is an unique resource for researchers, teachers and interested community members. JAMSJ would like to make it easier to access and keep track of materials.
- Maintenance of building and artifacts. Dusting, vacuuming, etc. of the rooms and collection.
- Construction of exhibit space. Work alongside JAMSJ's Museum Director to create or adjust exhibit space (e.g. painting).
- IT Support. Tasks may include maintaining office computers and devices for HW/SW upgrades, virus protection, communication with our Internet provider, computer networking, evaluation and purchase of new office equipment.
If you would like to give a little of your time to JAMsj, there are many ways to help. Call us at (408) 294-3138 or email VolunteerAdmin@jamsj.org to see what opportunities we have that would suit your schedule and interests.
Downloadable PDF volunteer forms are here:
JAMsj Volunteer Agreement
JAMsj Volunteer Application
Single Day Volunteer Application
JAMsj Volunteer Emergency Information
Technology User Agreement
For more information, contact: email@example.com